Monday, January 28, 2013

One Nightstand


Alright folks, here's my latest creation: 


So we've had this old fake wood grain and gold nightstand in my bathroom FOREVER. Seriously, this thing might be older than I am. And since it had been in a bathroom and subject to shower steam for at least 10 years - we clearly don't move things around much - the lovely fake wood grain sticker was starting to peel off and look even worse than it did to begin with. So this is my attempt to give this poor little nightstand a new life and a new purpose (living in a bathroom for the sole purpose of hiding tampons is not what this guy was made for).


















Exhibit A: The stuff.
For this little project I was able to get away with using only one can of primer: I like Rust-oleum Universal Satin in white (it says its paint and primer in one, but I think it really works best as just a primer). And one can of paint: I used Valspar Perfect Finish Gloss in (what i think is) Indigo Cloth. For whatever reason Valspar doesn't name the colors on their cans (annoying, I know!), but from what I saw online, Indigo Cloth seems to match the color of the lid.
I also used one small jar of Valspar Antiquing Glaze. You really only need the tiniest amount of this stuff, unless of course you're like me and accidentally dump a ton on the garage floor because you were trying to shake it with the lid barely on...
And as for the hardware, I purchased mine from Anthropologie.com
heres the link to the owl: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-hardware/973368.jsp
and heres the link to the twig handles: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-hardware/873174.jsp
Now, I would never spend this much on hardware, as I am broke as a joke. Tons of great options can be found at your local hardware store (especially handles, Anthro doesn't have a whole lot of those to choose from), or even at a local vintage shop, or ebay or etsy. So many options! But I work at Anthropologie, so I was able to use my employee discount - which is nice. I just want you to know there are PLENTY of other knob options out there!
The total cost of this project was around $50. To be fair though, even with my employee discount, over half of that budget was spent on hardware. So this project can be done even cheaper than that!
That being said, heres how I did it:


Step 1:
You're definitely going to want to take out any existing hardware. Now, after you've done this, check and see if the new hardware you bought will fit in the existing holes. If it does, fabulous! Ignore this next step. If it doesn't, you'll need to fill the existing holes with wood filler following the instructions on the packaging, and wait for it to dry. Then sand the filler until its flush with the surface of the furniture. Then drill new hardware holes according to whatever you bought. Thankfully, my new hardware fit perfectly, and I avoided all that.
Next, you'll need to sand the entire thing. You might be able to skip this step depending on the finish. Seeing as how mine was covered in a weird sticker thing, I sanded.



Step 2:
PRIME! Follow the instructions on the can in terms of drying times and weather conditions. 



Step 3:
PAINT! same as the directions in Step 2, but with the other can!
I was kind of nervous after this part because it looked like the color blue you'd put in a little boys room, and that's definitely not what I was going for. But keep going... it gets better!

SPRAY PAINTING/PRIMING TIPS:
SHAKE THE CAN!!!! Its actually really important. Also, always spray paint in a well ventilated area to avoid spray painting unwanted surfaces (such as the side of your house) and to avoid paint fume loopiness!


Step 4:
The purpose of the Antiquing Glaze is to make a piece look older, or to give it more definition. How much or how little you add is really a personal preference situation. I just wanted to add enough to settle in the crevasses and curves on this piece so they would be more noticeable.
Antiquing is really kind of a haphazard process. Obviously, read the instructions on your particular bottle of glaze first. But basically, they're going to tell you to slap some glaze on the piece, wait a certain amount of time, then kind of wipe it off. You'll have to experiment a few times before you get it the way you want it, but thankfully, you can't really mess this stuff up. And if you do, you can wipe it off! I let the glaze settle pretty heavily in the groves, and then I wiped it over every surface and wiped it off in one direction to give sort of a dry brushed look.
Overall, I think the glaze did a good job of making the blue not so ridiculously blue!


And here's the final result!










No comments:

Post a Comment